“Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.”
The splitting of the pack has been hard on Claire, and though for a small time it looked as if she might leave it seems she’s gotten through it. Although still prone to becoming overwhelmed with stress and negativity, Claire is trying her hardest to pick herself back up and build up what remains of her pack and her family.
Claire’s hair is always a little messy, honey blonde in shaggy layers, with several inches of tawny-brown growout that now hangs well past her collarbone. Her overlarge mouth twists into a scowl more often than not, but there are smirks and grins mixed in. Sometimes a genuine smile.
She’s got a slowly increasing collection of scars: two small circular ones on her left side over her lung, and one on her shoulder blade. Around Claire’s neck are faint hatch-marks, like the bite of too many needle teeth. On her right side near her collar is a thick, twisted scar: a reminder of Nightmarewolf.
Her choice of clothing tends to be thrift-store finds: tanktops, tshirts, and skinny jeans of varying tightness coupled with boots or flats. Any makeup Claire wears is pretty much limited to eyeliner or mascara. She likes wearing pendant necklaces and a ring or two.
Very occasionally, she’s been known to wear a dress, usually in black or grey.
As a wolf, she has a mix of wintry thick tawny brown and blonde fur.
- Deedname: Ace
- Auspice: Elodoth
- Tribe: Iron Masters
- Lodge: n/a
- Age: 19
- Presence: 2
- Allies (Police)
- Trained Observer
- Mentor: Genius
- Cunning: 1
- A swirl of chains that snake up her left arm, with broken manacles in the middle. They mark her having succeeded in her trial to become an Iron Master, who discarded impossible rules in favor of results.
- Glory: 1
- Swirling mists that stretch from the back of her right hand, snake around her arm and fade near her elbow. It tells of her first hunt as uratha, cleansing a wound and sapping the rage of her packmate while landing a blow on her Alpha after succumbing to her own.
- Honor: 1
- A clean, even glow signifying that she’s an Elodoth.
- Cunning: 1
- Queer by Garbage
“The queerest of the queer
The strangest of the strange
The coldest of the cool
The lamest of the lame
The numbest of the dumb
I hate to see you here
You choke behind a smile
A fake behind the fear
The queerest of the queer
The strangest of the strange
The coldest of the cool
You’re nothing special here
A fake behind the fear
The queerest of the queer.”
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps by Regina Spektor
“I don’t know why nobody told you
How to unfold your love
I don’t know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you
I look at the world and I notice it’s turning
While my guitar gently weeps
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps”
- Up the Wolves by The Mountain Goats
“There’s bound to be a ghost at the back of your closet,
No matter where you live.
There’ll always be a few things maybe several things
That you’re going to find really difficult to forgive.
There’s gonna come a day when you’ll feel better,
You’ll rise up free and easy on that day
And float from branch to branch, lighter than the air,
Just when that day is coming, who can say, who can say”
- The Dog Days are Over by Florence and the Machines
“Happiness hit her like a train on a track
Coming towards her stuck still no turning back
She hid it ’round corners and she hid it under beds
She killed it with kisses and from it she fled
With every bubble she sank with her drink
And washed it away down the kitchen sink
The dog days are over
The dog days are done
Can you hear the horses?
’Cause here they come
And I never wanted anything from you
Except everything you had and what was left after that too, oh
Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back
Struck from a great height by someone who should know better than that”
- Genghis Khan by Mike Snow
“I know there’s no form
And no labels to put on
To this thing we keep
And dip into when we need
And I don’t have the right
To ask where you go at night
But the waves hit my head
To think someone’s in your bed”
Pretend someone asked “What do you think of (character name)?” Answer it!
How do you atone for such a thing? How do you make up for so much lost time? Useless questions. I’m doing everything I can.” – Annette Poulin
What’s that ya say, buddy? Huh? C’mea. By chance did I hea da phrase ’piece’v ass’ escape yaw fat sweaty lips in association witta lady? No? Oh, ya real shy all’v a sudden, now. Well I hope ya stay that way. Be a shame if I had ta break yaw fuckin’ jaw.” – Desmond Kitteridge “I had a long conversation with Kim recently, actually, about how we’re both sure that Ace doesn’t like us. But – admittedly – we had that conversation after talking with her shortly before her First Change, so perhaps that had something to do with her being on the cusp of it. And that isn’t all we talked about – we actually discussed how keen she is – she can pinpoint a flaw in a plan or a slight downward twist of your tone, and she’s smarter than I think even she would take credit for. Which I think kind of gets down to what I think about Claire – she’s a good, smart kid, but I think she’s been hurt so much she’s just covering herself with barbs and spikes for fear of someone hurting her soft core and I hope one day I know it. As her packmate, I’ll wait until she lets me in – I’m fine with that. And if anyone does hurt her soft core and I find out about it? Well, I’m making some spirit friends for just that reason.”– Stepford * “I said most of what I wanted to say at the bonfire. But since she’s not here to roll her eyes…I’m happy to see her growing up. She’s dealing with a lot worse than I dealt with at her age, and handling it better than I would have, I think. I’m proud of her.” - Annette Poulin-
- “I’m not tawkin’ about this wit’ you.” — Desmond Kitteridge
* "I’m usually pretty sure Ace doesn’t like me too much, but every once in a while she lets down her guard for a second and I can see that she really likes being a part of the pack. She’s had a really rough First Change, but I know we’ll get through it-and I’m glad it’s helped bring us a little closer together! Slowly but surely!" - Kim Huynh * “Doesn’t talk a lot, but pretty sure that’s ‘cause she’s afraid she’s gonna run her yap. That means she’s smart. Apple fell close to the tree…just hope she picks a better Tribe. If this pack gets a third Storm Lord I’m gonna fuckin’ kill myself.” - Max-
- “I like Claire. Fliss and Kim are nice, but she’s the only person who really seems to see me who for I am—instead of an invisible person or some kind of pet project. She talks to me like a human being. And she explains things in a way I can get. Fliss is the reason I came, but Claire’s the reason I stayed.” — Uma Choudhary
- “She’s a good kid. She works hard, and she really listens. And those aren’t qualities you can take for granted in a werewolf.” — Marion Hunter
- “You know how when a kid steals from the cookie jar for the first time or whatever, they worry like mad about getting caught, and feel like the stakes couldn’t be higher—but to the adults, their terrible secret is just this cute, quaint thing? Yeah. She’s coming along though.” — Aoife McCullen
- “She keeps wondering what I’m ‘getting out of’ this. Duh—I’m getting her.” — Melanie Rosewater
- “Of all the traitors to my pack, I wanna kill you the least. Congratulations. Maybe if you’d aimed a little higher than ‘least offensive piece of shit,’ you could’a prevented this.” — Max
- “I want to stay mad at her, but I can’t. She was just following her mother the same way I follow Max. She can’t help it that Shrike is a terrible person; she’s just attached, and I really do get that. So I don’t blame her. In fact, I should probably thank her. Because, of the three, she was the closest to being my friend in the end, and that’s not something I’d have ever guessed even the week before. Claire showed me how naive I’d been, how superficially I’d judged people. Now I know that sometimes the surly one who rolls her eyes at you is being more honest than the sweet one who says she loves you. At least I learned something.” — Kim Huynh
- “I hope she’ll forgive me. But even if she doesn’t, I know I did the right thing. She has a future, now—and we’re still together. That’s more than I’d dared hope for.” — Annette Poulin
- “Well, this happy visit certainly took a dark turn, didn’t it?” — Bluejay
- “I yelled at her for – for doing what I was doing, but she was doing it better and more urgent than I was. Claire’s good to have at your back. She’s the best of this – new pack that we have now, I guess.” – Scylla